Have you ever had one of those nights where you didn’t sleep well because you were stressed or anxious? Ever hear the term ‘just sleep on it’? Often times, when there is a major decision coming up in our lives or a new event happening that we are nervous about, sleep just seems to slip away. The one thing we might need the most is to sleep so that we can think clearly and be ready for a new day to make those important decisions or actively participate in an activity like a new job, competition or maybe travelling somewhere, just to list a few examples.
When I cannot sleep, often I just lay there hoping I will go to sleep but instead I just lay there, thinking, thinking, thinking and tossing and turning! Well I have a few ideas about how to get some much-needed sleep that are tested and proven to work for me and hopefully for you as well. There are two different situations that I find I cannot sleep:
1) Feeling stressed or anxious before going to bed
2) Waking up in the middle of the night.
For the first situation when I already know I feel stressed or anxious I try to do simple, various tactics to ensure I fall asleep more easily. Here is my list of tips:
- Take a warm bath with a few drops of lavender oil with a few drops of a carrier oil (almond oil, olive oil ).
- Drink a chamomile tea (my all time favorite herbal tea is Sleepy Time from Celestial Seasonings).
- Write down your thoughts on paper.
- Sometimes when I am really feeling stressed I use Bach’s Rescue Remedy made from flowers
- Read a book
- Perform some gentle yoga or stretching
I often use one or more of these methods at a time to be more effective! Nothing zaps your energy more than a lack of sleep. Try out my methods and see what works for you. Please share your what you do to help get to sleep.
If you are interested in learning more about how to increase you energy, at the bottom of the page sign up to receive my newsletter about my upcoming Spring into Life Energy Boosting Program!